Ancestry DNA is a direct-to-costumer genetic testing service that provides customers with information on the geographic origins of their ancestors and helps to identify possible relatives.Forbes
Hello everyone! I’ve got my Ancestry DNA kit a few days ago and today I registered and got my DNA sample ready to sent it back. I’ll be updating in 6 to 8 weeks, when I get my results back. In the mean time, I wanted to show you what the Activation kit includes and the steps you need to take to get your test going. Specifically how to get your kit registered, how to collect your DNA sample and how to mail it back.
The kit includes
- A booklet showing your unique activation code and the label legend + warnings in 7 languages
- 1 plastic bag to seal your testing tube in for shipping
- 1 testing tube in which we have to spit to collect our DNA
- The box itself (which you can drop at the courier without any extra charge) with adhesive to close for shipping
- The ancestry DNA logoed box sleeve (which contains detail instructions in the interior)
At this point, you should’ve received an email with the link to activate your kit. There are also detailed directions on the reverse side of your logoed box sleeve but if you’re like me, you might not notice until the end and wonder if what you’re doing is right half of the time.
Here’s a quick breakdown on what you need to do:
How to activate your kit
- Go to www.ancestry.com/dna/activate (Or www.ancestry.com.au/dna/activate in the case of Australia and New Zealand)
- Enter the activation code found on the collection tube within your kit or in the booklet
- Follow the steps to complete your activation, here’s a detailed article about the steps: Activating an Ancestry DNA Kit
How to collect your DNA sample
- Open the testing tube package
- Spit in the tube all the way up to the wavy line with the aid of the funnel provided
- Remove the funnel and put the cap on
- Twist the cap so that the blue substance is released into the saliva
- Shake for 5-10 seconds
How to pack and mail your sample
- Put your sample tube inside of the plastic bag provided, do not remove the sachet
- Seal the plastic bag with the sample tube and deposit it back in the box
- Remove the sticker from the adhesive flap of the box to close shut
- Remove the “no postage or stamps required” label and drop your box in your local post box
See you in a few weeks to check my results!
This post may contain affiliate links which means I may receive a commission should you choose to sign up for a program or make a purchase using my links. It’s ok, I will only recommend products that I have personally used or care for – I love all of these products, and you will too! Learn more on my Private Policy page.